Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Big Switch To Digital TV!

I have to remind myself about this!

Before it kicks in February 2009 I will want to be ready!

First some background information:

One February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100 percent digital broadcasting.

Of course I hate that we have to switch at all! I like things the way they are however if I want to watch TV then I am going to have to comply!

Now if you have cable tv or satellite tv then the change won't affect you.

If you don't have the above then you are either going to have to get a new tv or you are going to have to get a converter box for your analog tv. The government is offering coupons off the full price of the converters.

Now here is the situation in my own particular case!

My tvs have satellite / Direct TV - so it shouldn't be a problem for me. (Although I have to say that I want the converter boxes as a backup!)

I do have a TV in one room that's not hooked up to Direct TV so that's one discounted coupon that I can use.

I can use the other discounted coupon (every household is allowed 2 coupons) for the very, very old tv that's in the basement. That TV is so old but it still works!

So I hope that your household is ready for the big analog to digital changeover.




I should also mention that you shouldn't be confused by the terms "high definition" and digital tv. You don't have to have high definition tv but you will have to have a digital tv (or digital converter box) before the digital tv kicks in February of 2009!

No comments: