Thursday, November 15, 2007

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I can't figure out why its so cold in the kitchen!

During the summertime when it was warmer it didn't matter because when its warm outside then its warm inside - including the kitchen.

But earlier this afternoon as I was in the kitchen eating dinner it occurred to me just how cold the kitchen was. The temperature outside was in the 40's plus its a very windy day today.

The kitchen it seems is the coldest room in the house and I really can't figure out why. I thought it may have had something to do with the insultaion around the back door and window but it just seems that there's not enough open airspaces in the kitchen that would warrant it being so cold.

Now if I'm cooking in the kitchen it gets quite warm and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why it would be cold otherwise.

I mean are kitchens meant to be so cold?

I have seen pictures of kitchens with fireplaces in them and I'm thinking about adding one to mine. The only problem is where would the fireplace go? The only place where I could fit a fireplace in the kitchen is where the refridgerator is standing right now and I need a refridgerator - LOL!

But I would be interested in knowing if others have this same problem or is this the way that it is meant to be - and if it is - why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had this problem in my previous 100+ year old house and no it is not normal. A kitchen remodel showed where the problem was. Behind the dishwasher was a six inch hole in the wallboard that had duct tape taped over it. When we removed the duct tape we found that there was a one inch depth between the wallboard and the exterior wood. No insulation, no nothing and in Mew England that equated to being able to stand in front of the dishwasher during the winter and finding it to be about 35 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. You may want to wait for a windy day then use some sort of incense stick (i.e. something where you can see the smoke from it) and then go around the kitchen including inside cabinets, around appliances, etc and see if you can see via the smoke where your infiltration is.

Anonymous said...

I've got the opposite problem. My kitchen stays very warm. My houe is an older one also, built in 1940. As far as the kitchen, I've got a huge window over the sink that faces south, and my backdoor is the kitchen. We put blinds up on the backdoor, that keeps some sun out, but lets light in. As far as the windows, we did't want blinds up or heavy curtains, so we put a bunch of herb pots on the sill, and hung a few ferns at the top of the window. It helped some, but its still hot in there in the summertime. Too hot to use the stove, so i cook 99% of meals outside on the grill!

MartinM377 said...

Thank you for commenting and in response I would like to say that it is quite interesting how things turn out. (It's also a nice statement on the subject of neighbors)

After I posted this I had a chance to visit with one of my neighbors and she talked about how she had this same problem. She got her husband to insulated the kitchen. Now I was in that kitchen (I made it a point to go there and "check this out" for myself) and it was nice and warm. So now that solution is "sticking" in my mind.

So as I'm leaving that neighbor's house I see another neighbor walking his dog and I tell him about the discussion I was having with the other neighbor. Since you could see my house from where we were talking he pointed out that the kitchen kind of stood out from the rest of the house and that was the reason why it was so cold. Apparently the kitchen was "outside".....................

But since I found out that this had to do with the way that the house was built it makes me feel better to know at least this was a "neighborhood" problem that can be solved!

Now all I have to do is find out more about what it takes to "insulate" a kitchen!